Call for Papers
First International Workshop on Quantitative Syntax (Quasy 2019) will be held on August 26, 2019, in Paris. Quasy will be one of the 4 events of the Paris Syntax Fest (August 26-30).
Quantitative syntax analysis benefits from the thriving of structured language data in the (computational) linguistics field and the growing popularity of statistical methods inside the linguistic community. Despite the rapid development of Corpus and Treebanks, the linguistic potential of combining such structured data with statistical methods remains unexplored. Quasy 2019 responds to the growing need for linguistic meetings dedicated to quantitative syntax analysis and theorizing that is based on empirical data. The meeting is held under the auspices of the International Quantitative Linguistics Association (IQLA).
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Descriptions of all aspects of syntax related phenomena, including but not limited to psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, language typology, language acquisition, stylometry, translation, etc., as far as they use quantitative methods based on empirical language data
- Methods to explore and analyze corpora, treebanks or any other empirical data which serve syntax analysis
- Theoretical studies based on syntax data (hypothesis testing)
- Investigations into interrelations among syntactic factors
- Discussions about linguistic units or the impact of annotation styles in syntax analysis
- Syntactic structures (tree structures, valency structures,...) and their distributions
- Syntax modeling and its applications
- Word order investigations